Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Wednesday in the Wine Country with the Formers, January 16, 2008






January 16, 2008

I did not sleep well. I woke up at 2 and couldn't get my thoughts to quiet down enough to sleep. The time spent with Julia brought me back to memories of very wild times in Europe and Los Angeles, and being in Cape Town the day before left me invigorated. Plus I was looking forward to seeing the Formers like a kid the night before Christmas. I had set my alarm for 6:30 so I could get ready and get out of the room I would share with Stefanie by the time the Formers arrived. It turns out I finally was dozing off as the alarm sounded. I showered and they were there when I emerged. It was so surreal to see them. They all looked great. Gertrud let her hair grow. Guenther looked the same and was toting a book on leadership that accessorized perfectly his constant exceedingly positive and optimistic demeanor. Stefanie was no longer a kid.

I let them get settled and had my breakfast. The egg today did not sit well. I couldn't get over the gross factor. So it was muesli. I then set off on foot to the internet cafe to get some work done, with instructions to return to the guest house by 11 for pickup by Julia. The plans for the day included a drive out to the wine country and the rehearsal dinner. I wanted to skip the wine country and get some work done, but Julia said I MUST go because I could not miss dinner. Me, Stefanie, and Louise rode with Peter's father Harold to the wine country. This was the first time I drove past one of the worst townships (or informal developments) in Cape Town area. Millions of people live in these little 9x15 shacks that are held together by sticks and string or held up by the neighboring shack or another stick. It looked like the wind would blow it over. The street was abound with prostitutes that could have been 12 or younger. A 13 year old mother gets enough money from the state to support a herself, baby, and her own parents. At the outskirts you can see scattered port-a-potties set up and the stench is overwhelming for a mile after you pass it. Right across the street from these developments is the beautiful blue ocean with continually rolling waves.

We made a pit stop at shopping center, and then headed to an exclusive wine estate for salad as a light lunch. Then off to two more wine estates. Julia then decided she wanted some exercise, so we went to another place where she could take a jog in the hot hot heat as the rest of us sweated walking through the gardens. We then headed to the wine estate where dinner would take place, which is a little bit like the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. Still early, we checked out the contemporary art installation with the theme of cruelty and corporal punishment. I can imagine many would drink a lot of wine after seeing that installation, but otherwise am not sure about the taste that put it there. When asked to vote for our favorite piece, we said we didn't care for it and headed off to dinner. Guenther and I were paying more attention to our conversation than surroundings and needed help finding the restaurant and our table, which turned out to be in a tree, so we didn't feel so silly being lost. Julia had reserved the table months in advance to get the highest private treehouse. The chairs each had a blanket since it would, amazingly, get cold in the evening wind. The staff was dressed in tribal outfits and came up to wash our hands and paint our faces. We were then directed through a string of little 'villages' to a tent that had a stage for an African music and dance show, plus some tables for guests and a buffet that contained over 30 different styles of African cuisine set up at various 'made-to-order' stations, and a 30 foot dessert bar. It was unreal. The grilled skewer of butterfish was out of this world. The pumpkin, cabbage, and cooked greens were amazing. Seriously, I didn't know it was possible for cooked cabbage to taste that good. The more typical dishes included ostrich, ox, and other game stews. We had to pace ourselves. The servers at the various stations were so friendly, and several of them were dancing and singing to the music with pleasure as they cooked and served. A couple little groups came to our treehouse to play traditional music and sing. It was a very special and intimate rehearsal dinner. Julia told us she'd chosen the location two years ago when there with a group from her previous job at a modeling agency. It was cute to watch Peter's expression as she said this as he was a little startled that she'd known for so long. It was a lovely evening, and we were diverted through a gift shop on the way out. We all arrived here completely beat after a long hot day and with full stomachs. I understand Julia's insistence on joining them for the day in the wine country. The dinner was too special to miss.

No comments: