Monday, January 14, 2008

Arriving in Cape Town, January 14, 2008






January 14, 2008

Finally departed Paris around midnight. Again, had a flight attendant staff that ignored me as an individual, similar to the Australia trip. The South African/British woman beside me thought it was strange, and I said this happens to me on international flights. Ambien is the best thing ever. I slept most of the way to Jo'burg and watched “The Heartbreak Kid” the rest of the time. I got thru fine in Jo'burg customs and got an unneeded porter to help with my bags. I must admit it was a relief to walk the distance from the international to domestic terminal without carrying my bags around or having to push the (free) cart. I was told by Julia in advance to give him no more than 20 Rand. He asked if I had USD. I gave him $3 instead. Then the guy actually asked me for $40 for his tip! Nice try, buddy! But, he also tried to pick up the check-in agent with similar luck. The opportunist left at the security line, I just made it to my kulula flight. It was fine, but they charge for water and anything consumable.

Julia picked me up with Louise, who is quite agreeable, and we headed to her suburban jungle in her little Golf Citi (no a/c in this economy car). We went through a nearby town to get to a dress shop and I was amazed at how fearless the pedestrial/driver relationship is. We were just wizzing by within inches of countless pedestrians. I thought we were closer to getting into accidents than it seems we were since the rules of the road here don't even necessarily include driving on the road. Case in point, there was a bus that ignored a turnabout completely, just driving over the raised circle like it was part of the regular road and continuing straight. Amazingly, I would actually be considered an over-cautious driver in the Cape Town area. Even though it has been eight years since Julia and I saw each other it was like no time had passed, which was very nice. By the time we got to Julia's we were all so sweaty we each had to take a shower and change. We took a nice long walk on the beach and chatted about geography and old acquaintances, hopefully not leaving Louise out too much. It's amazing how things are the same no matter where you go, to some extent. The beach was full of kids, dogs, and families like anywhere else in the world. However it was rather crowded for a Monday at the beach. I walked so the waves would wash over my legs and was surprised how chilly it was. We were on the Indian Ocean side, which generally is warmer, but the water definitely had an Atlantic chill to it. We were then ready to head to my guest house, where I could check in after 6. We brought groceries with us, though neither Louise nor I was convinced we'd want to cook and eat in. Our standards, we thought, were higher than the expected 'self-catering' quarters. We weren't convinced it would be pleasant to cook and dine in some cramped guest house with the owners in the house. However, once we got here we were ready to move in entirely. I very much approve of the accommodations, which are far nicer than the price suggested. The view is spectacular as the house is built into a mountain above the ocean, and there is a gentle cool breeze coming through the living room. The guest house is the walkout basement with separate entry and garage, and the owners live upstairs. It's a similar setup to where I live. From this guesthouse, there are numerous paths leading down to the little downtown of Simon's Town, nestled into the base of the mountain across the street from the water.

Julia and Louise instructed me to relax after 43 hours of travel, and they prepared dinner. Peter came here from work, and the four of us enjoyed a simple meal with a spectacular ocean view and sunset. I definitely approve of Peter. They are very well suited for one another from what I see and truly adore one another for who they are. Somehow, I wasn't really worried about her choice before I met him either.

Now in Simon's Town at this amazing b&b, I feel completely at home. In fact it was nice to walk out Julia, Peter and Louise after dinner, feeling like it is my home. It looks a lot like Honolulu with Diamond Head in the background. Only it's Simon's Town and even more special right now. It's a sleepy town about an hour from the city center. There is a Navy shipyard directly down the bluff from this house, making it more Hawaii-like with a little Pearl Harbor hint, and another example of how some things are still the same wherever you go. However, summertime in Africa is definitely hotter than most other places!!!


No comments: